Why UV?

Water is a resource that all of us tend to take for granted. We turn on the shower, the kitchen faucet, and the garden hose and out pours an endless supply of fresh, clean water. What many of us may not realize, though, is that our water supply is not a never end supply and it is not as clean as it may appear. Chlorine is popularly used but it is unable to effectively treat some of the harmful bacteria found in the water. Exposure to certain harmful bacteria can cause severe gastrointestinal illness and even death among people with compromised immune systems.

Ultraviolet (UV) technology is more effective than chemicals in destroying certain waterborne contaminants without altering the taste of water. This makes it a practical process for treating water used for drinking and food preparation.

Treating our water supply by the use of UV disinfection is not only more effective than traditional treatments, but it is also an environmental responsible way of treating our water. There are no disinfection by-products with the use of UV which is safe and chemical free. Plus, UV does not alter water chemistry and its constituents, such as pH, taste, odor, or colour.

Purchasing a UV disinfection system for your home has a capital low cost as well as a low operational cost. The energy used by a UV disinfection system in an average size home is comparable to the same energy used by a 40-watt bulb!